Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Whirlwind

That's what Sunday's race was for me. I wasn't going to race because I was going to be working all day. But then, as a fluke, I didn't have anything to do at work for a few hours. It was perfect timing. I had just enought time to race home, grab my bike, drive the 30 minutes to the race, get my number pinned on and turn the pedals for a few minutes before my start. (Thanks to Jesse and John for getting me going!)

Then there was the race:

As soon as I finished my last lap of the race, I got back in my car, stopped at a friend's house for a shower on the way back to work, and was at work 3 hours after I left.

I didn't even know how I placed.

I've asked myself several times why I did it. There's no prize money in my catagory. I'm not in contention for series leader. The actual fact of pushing your body that hard for 40 minutes of strenuous work is just painful. I really had absolutely nothing to gain from it. So what the hell? Are we bike racers just a little bit crazy? Anyone? Bueller?

3 comments:

  1. we do it for the glory.

    and to skip boring work hours.

    No matter how you slice it, killing yourself on the bike for 40min is probably more interesting than anything else you could've done.

    Especially if "anything else" includes Lyle.

    Diamond put me up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, come on now, John, you know the mullet is irresistible. You gotta set that Diamond guy straight. I doubt even you, a straight married man, could keep your hands off him if you saw the mullet in it's full glory!

    ReplyDelete