Friday, June 22, 2007

Deer Valley

The race in Deer Valley was pretty surprising! I didn't do so bad after all. While pre-riding the course on Thursday (my race was Saturday) I REALLY felt the altitude and the lack of riding in my legs. I was so tired, short of breath and slow! By Friday when I pre-rode again, I felt much better and things were looking up. Then Saturday I was as good as new! It was a bigger field than normal and I felt like that podium spot I won actually meant something (not like geting 3rd place when there's only 3 of you!) There were 9 of us this time. Yeah!

I was sitting in 4th on the last 1/2 lap just behind this girl in the Wheaties jersey:



Just at the crest of the hill I was able to squeeze out a burst of power in those last 3 seconds before it turned into downhill single track (which I certainly didn't want to be in the back for) and passed her in the knick of time. I couldn't have done it any sooner and actually held her off still. Then it was a matter of keeping her off and I managed to continue widening the gap bit by bit until I found myself crossing the finish line in 3rd. Not bad considering my prior few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Good result, and an exciting race to watch... glad I woke up early for it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete